A tooth is once damaged, can he indeed are repaired or replaced by artificial materials, but he is never properly healthy. And dentures can never be an equivalent substitute for the own natural tooth. Therefore, it is important that you are active and prevent with a good dental prophylaxis in everyday life of the development of dental problems, rather than to intervene only if already damage.
The two main types of tooth damage, which prevent applies are periodontal disease and tooth decay. Both are caused by bacteria that are naturally in the mouth of man. Some of the bacteria produce acid from carbohydrate-containing foods (so sweet dishes, but also snacks such as potato chips) that adhere as food particles on the teeth. This acid in turn throws out minerals from the tooth enamel. Ever more frequently such acid attacks take place, and the longer they take, the faster the dreaded “hole in the tooth”, the decay arises as a result.
An inflammation of the gums (gingivitis) or the tooth bed and tooth restraint systems (periodontitis) arises from bacterial coatings (plaque) on the teeth, as well as their calcification product, the Tartar. Plaque and Tartar can lead to inflammation in the surrounding gums. Symptoms such as bleeding gums, a softening of the gums and the teeth finally arise these spreads to tooth loss.
With the proper dental prophylaxis you can interact at an early stage on the factors, which favour the formation of tooth decay, gum disease and periodontal disease.
Four things are important for the prevention of tooth:
- a tooth healthy diet
- a systematic dental care and oral hygiene
- a fluoridation of teeth
- regular check-ups at the dentist
The main points of the dental prophylaxis
A good dental prophylaxis include the following points:
- “Morning, noon, evening, after each meal, brushing not forget”: you Putzen the teeth at least twice a day for three minutes, better yet after each main meal.
- Use a toothbrush with rounded, soft plastic brushes and short head.
- Change your toothbrush every two to three months.
- Choose a fluoride-containing toothpaste that contains no excessive abrasive wheel (as in “white basic” toothpaste).
- Use dental floss or interdental space brushes every day.
- Fluoride-containing mouthwashes support the dental prophylaxis.
- “Vigorously chewing teeth in your mouth, keep them longer and stay healthy”: chewing-active food such as raw vegetables and whole grain bread keeps the teeth fit.
- Sugary snacks to promote the formation of caries. Attention: Even products such as yoghurt or muesli can contain much sugar, as well as sweetened drinks or soft drinks.
- Sugar-free chewing gum stimulates the saliva production and can relieve when 20-minute the tooth enamel, just after the snacking.
- “It should well be the teeth must be twice in the year to the dentist.” Every six months a checkup at the dentist is recommended. Thus, damage can be detected at an early stage.
- A professional dental cleaning every six months will your teeth by dental plaque and Tartar free. The risk for caries and gingival is reduced as a result. At the same time, unsightly tooth stains are removed.